Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rennes, France

I recently returned from a conference in St. Malo, France. I made a couple of side trips along the way. These are a few pics from Rennes, which was my first and last destination..

La Vilaine River...


I was looking for a park and came across this house. Like a lot of cities, Rennes is pretty densely packed so this seemed like an oasis of space...

I did find a wonderful park, Thabor, that really helped me get over my jet lag. I was amazed by the intertwining of the branches of this tree...

Connected to the park is a Notre Dame cathedral...

There was a big map of the park outside of the cathedral that helped me to find the formal gardens...

There was a guitar player near the lower entrance of the park. He wasn't half bad...


On my way back to the hotel, I discovered an art deco swimming pool. I understood just enough French to know that a few natives thought it odd that I was taking pictures of a public pool building...

This is a small park area not far from the river...

Strolling around another part of the city, I came across Place de la Republique. A couple of moments after taking this picture, I saw a man relieving himself on those plants...

A bit to the north, Place de la Maine...

The city has a few wood framed houses. This one was in pretty good shape...

The Mordelaises Ports, built in 1440, served as the principal entries to the town during the Middle Ages...

These wood framed houses were in really good shape...

And across the street a large square where open air markets are often held...

Long street or trick of the camera? 

It was actually pretty easy to walk around the city. Nothing was very far. Something seems a little off with these wood framed houses...

This is the Parliament of Brittany...

Uh oh, someone lost a shoe...

Amazing how many stones there are everywhere...

I had a bit of time in Rennes at the end of my trip too and the sun made an appearance...

After a crazy tourist filled visit to Mont Saint Michel and before I needed to pack to return home, I spent some time reading under this tree...

Images from St. Malo and Mont Saint Michel to follow.

1 comment:

  1. wow..thats great! wish i could travel to those places.
    i love old houses and buildings.
    my favorite pics are the one on the little park with the flowers in front, the oath and the building in the back and the one of those wood framed houses. I wonder what its like to live there...can you put things on the table or the would roll off it? hmm
    hope you had a good time :)

    ReplyDelete